Battersea Power Station
The former Battersea Power Station in London was converted into a shopping mall with offices and flats by Wilkinson Eyre on behalf of a Malaysian investor. The original appearance of the turbine halls was largely preserved. The power station, built between 1929 and 1955, supplied one fifth of London's electricity needs. The central boiler house is flanked by two symmetrical turbine halls, followed by the electrical control centres. The complex's four chimneys, more than 100 metres high, make it a well-known landmark of London's industrial age. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to revitalise the ruins, a Malaysian consortium took over the building and the surrounding 17.5-hectare site. A residential and commercial quarter for about 25,000 residents and workers is currently being built there.
- Battersea Power Station Development Company
- London, United Kingdom