How it all began
The Zurich painter Christian Schmidt laid the foundation of today's KEIMFARBEN AG in Switzerland. Only a few years after it was patented, he imported Keim's mineral paint for us to Switzerland and used it on renowned objects there. For example, on the facade of our National Museum in Zurich, on the town hall in Schwyz and on various other facades in idyllic Stein am Rhein.
The Schmidt family was the sole importer for three generations and with great commitment and success ensured that KEIM Farben became known in Switzerland. In 1989, our German parent company, KEIMFARBEN GmbH from Diedorf near Augsburg, founded our Swiss branch, KEIMFARBEN AG. Four employees formed the founding team at that time.
Due to the unbroken tradition of Keim's mineral paints and plasters for more than 140 years, we Swiss like to call them a "cultural constant" in the design of architectural surfaces, and rightly so.
And yes, it is so: Walls and facades in KEIM are durable across generations. Especially here in Switzerland, which was "happily spared the war", there are still many impressive examples of Keim silicate technology from the 19th century.
Original decorative paintings from this period are evidence to the sustainability of Keim's painting technique.
For example, Basel Town Hall, Schwyz Town Hall and various facades in Lucerne's old town as well as the Villa Patumbah in Zurich, the old town of Stein am Rhein and Schaffhausen are colourfully and gracefully decorated with KEIM colours.
In this tradition, we still cultivate the pure silicate technique in this country with heart and soul, but also the lime and oil technique according to the principles of monument preservation.
In the tradition of our founder A.W. Keim, we continue to develop and use the advantages of mineral plaster and painting techniques, naturally adapted to the needs and substrates of the time.
This is how the pure silicate artist paint of 1878 has been developed over time:
- 1905 the 2-component pure silicate paint for flat painting (KEIM Purkristalat)
- 1928 the technical and colouristic basis for the "Coloured City Movement" around Bruno Taut
- 1962 the first dispersion silicate paint (KEIM Granital)
- 1985 a natural stone restoration system (KEIM Restauro with mortar, paint and glaze)
- 1990 a silicate concrete restoration system (KEIM Concretal with mortar, paint and glaze)
- 1999 the first silica sol paint (KEIM Soldalit)
- 2005 as the first paint manufacturer a thick-layer ETICS system without biocides (KEIM AquaRoyal formerly Aqua Pura)
- 2008 a biocide-free, mineral mould remediation system (KEIM Mycal)
- 2010 the first mineral paint for wooden facades (KEIM Lignosil)
All our main products are natureplus and/or eco-1 certified.
We now employ 28 people at KEIM in Switzerland. In addition to our headquarters in Diepoldsau, we now have eight branch offices in Zurich, Lucerne, Bern, Basel, Mezzovico, Brig, Frauenfeld and Aclens, as well as a studio in Stein am Rhein.
In these so-called "Baudialogen", we not only sell products, but also look for ways to combine colour and structure with architecture and art in an individual, sustainable and beautiful way in dialogue with all those interested in colour.
KEIM's design potential with its plasters, fillers, slurries, paints, glazes, whitewashes and effect pigments is almost inexhaustible.
Come and visit one of our decentralised construction dialogues - our many years of experience are yours!